It all started when...
The conditions that led up to the organization of our church were very closely allied with the early settlement of Sierra Madre. The community of Sierra Madre was established in the fall of 1881, and in February 1882 a Sunday School Class was organized. This class met in the local Schoolhouse located at the corner of Hermosa and Live Oak (now known as Orange Grove Avenue). Each Sunday, the organ, hymnbooks, and firewood were carried to the bare one-room building by those attending.
As time passed, the adults desired to have worship services. They invited ministers from various denominations to preach. This format continued for a few years until March 7, 1886 when an invitation was extended to all those interested in organizing a Congregational Church to "tarry at the close of the morning service." On Saturday, March 27, a number of Christians, believing that it was God's will for them to organize themselves as a Congregational Church, requested representatives from neighboring Congregational Churches to examine their condition and to advise. They assembled together as an ecclesiastical council at eleven o'clock in the morning in the Schoolhouse to organize the First Congregational Church of Sierra Madre. Thirteen people joined, their denominational backgrounds diverse: three Methodists, three Baptists, three Congregationalists, two Presbyterians, and two by confession of faith.
In 1890, the Old North Church was constructed on the north side of Sierra Madre Boulevard. The young church struggled through numerous pastors and financial crises before stability arrived.
The current church building on the south side of Sierra Madre Boulevard was dedicated in June of 1928. SMCC grew to be a church of several hundred members, becoming an important part of the Sierra Madre community.